Our hunger for God will not be confined to our closets. As we know him and delight in all that he is for us in Jesus, our joy in him reaches beyond personal experience on a quest to be reproduced in others. One of the simplest ways we realize this is by taking serious how we pray — by wanting and asking for others the same things we want and ask for ourselves. It is a beautiful thing — a miracle — when we become as invested in the sanctification of others as we are in our own. And, of course, the best place to start is with our spouses. So men, here are ten things to want from God (and ask from him) for your wife:
1. God, be her God — her all-satisfying treasure and all. Make her jealous for your exclusive supremacy over all her affections (Psalm 73:24–25).
2. Increase her faith — give her a rock-solid confidence that your incomparable power is only always wielded for her absolute good in Christ (Romans 8:28–30).
3. Intensify her joy — a joy in you that abandons all to the riches of your grace in Jesus and that says firmly, clearly, gladly: “I’ll go anywhere and do anything if you are there” (Exodus 33:14–15).
4. Soften her heart — rescue her from cynicism and make her tender to your presence in the most complicated details of dirty diapers and a multitude of other needs you’ve called her to meet (Hebrews 1:3).
5. Make her cherish your church — build relationships into her life that challenge and encourage her to walk in step with the truth of the gospel, and cause her to love corporate gatherings, the Lord’s Table, and the everyday life of the body (Mark 3:35).
6. Give her wisdom — make her see dimensions of reality that I would overlook and accompany her vision with a gentle, quiet spirit that feels safe and celebrated (1 Peter 3:4).
7. Sustain her health — continue to speak your gift of health and keep us from presumption; it is by blood-bought grace (Psalm 139:14).
8. Multiply her influence — encourage and deepen the impact she has on our children. Give her sweet glimpses of it. Pour her out in love for our neighbors and spark creative ways to engage them for Jesus’s sake (John 12:24).
9. Make her hear your voice — to read the Bible and accept it as it really is, your word — your very word to her where she lives, full of grace and power and everything she needs pertaining to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3).
10. Overcome her with Jesus — that she is united to him, that she is a new creature in him, that she is your daughter in him — no longer in Adam and dead in sin; now in Christ and alive to you, forever (Romans 6:11).
And then a thousand other things. Amen.
[Download a print-version (PDF) of “10 Things to Pray for Your Wife.”
Marriage Seminar & Dinner
Speakers: Tom & Carmel Gray
When/Where: Feb 11th @ Calvary Baptist Church, Killaloe On
Time: 3:30pm to 7:30pm
“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.” Eph 5:25-27
Junior Church for Children ages 2 through grade 2 available at CBC.
We are located at 148 Queen Street, Killaloe Ontario!
Our ultimate desire at Calvary Baptist Church is first and foremost to bring glory and praise to the Sovereign LORD [Father, Son, & Holy Spirit] and to raise up mature believers so that we can fulfill the Great Commission. We will seek to achieve this by following the guidelines that God has put in place for prayer, worship, communion, Christian fellowship, Bible Study, and most of all the expository teaching of God’s Word. We desire to provide the proper teaching of God’s Word so that fellow believers can grow together and edify one another with love and compassion.
Join us as we look into how God has composed a unique story for each of our lives.
Wednesdays– Prayer time before Bible Study @ 6:30pm
“HOW TO BE GOOD AND ANGRY” By Paul Tripp
We experience anger every day. It seems so natural. But not all anger is wrong. As Paul Tripp teaches, anger is also a very good quality. Our God is filled with holy anger and we must share in His character. As God's image-bearers, we have the capacity for godly anger. But sin has corrupted our hearts, so we also have the capacity for resentment and hatred. What started out as good becomes selfish and destructive. Don't try to manage your anger by putting a lid on it. Deal with the root problems get biblical hope as you face it.
Wednesday's @ 7:00pm in the Sanctuary
Discussion Time to follow
Ladies with Julie
Men with Pastor Mike
Adult Sunday School! "The One True God" by Paul Washer
Coming in 2017! Switching Study Books (Ladies)Twelve Ordinary Men & (Men) Twelve Extraordinary Women By John MacArthur
They were ordinary, common, and in some cases shockingly low-caste, yet each was made extraordinary by her life-changing encounter with God. Readers will be challenged and motivated by Twelve Extraordinary Women, a poignant and personal look into the lives of some of the Bible's most faithful women. Their struggles and temptations are the same trials faced by all believers at all ages. Inside this book, best-selling author and Bible teacher John MacArthur shows that the God to whom they were so committed is the same God who continues to mold and use ordinary people today.
Contrary to popular belief, we do not have to be perfect to do God's work. Look no further than the twelve disciples whose many weaknesses are forever preserved throughout the pages of the New Testament. Jesus chose ordinary men - fisherman, tax collectors, political zealots - and turned their weakness into strength, producing greatness from utter uselessness. MacArthur draws principles from Christ's careful, hands-on training of the original twelve disciples for today's modern disciple - you.
Wednesday – Prayer time before Bible Study @ 6:30pm, Bible Study @ 7:00pm
Thursday Jan 26 – Young At Heart @ 12:30pm, Calvary Baptist Church
Saturday Jan 28 – Men’s breakfast & Fellowship @ 8:30am Ashgrove Inn
Sunday Jan 29 – Special Guests Paulo & Lyndell Dawn Campbell, NAB Missionaries.
Wednesday Feb 1 - 7:00pm Special Video Presentation “The Atheist Delusion” by Living Waters. (EVERYONE IS WELCOME)